Thursday, December 2, 2010

Our girl.......

We had our girl home for the weekend. Have I ever told you how much I love her?. She is such a good kid, and I am so proud of how she is coping with the tumultuous time of teenagehood. I really admire her for her strength of character which radiates from her core in the worst of times. She will blossom into an incredible woman, of this I have no doubt. I just hope the trials of youth don't scar too deep, at a time when life should be so carefree. We had an emotional weekend due to her learning about the Child Soldiers of Africa in her Legal Studies class. The stories she had to read were absolutely horrific, and her heart ached for those children, and she felt a sense of helplessness and anger at the degradation of humanity. I started to feel really angry that the school had just dumped this into these kids laps and told them to deal with it. I mean how can a child rationalise this barbarianism in children. It was too confronting for this girl , who, has always had an innate sense of compassion for the 'underdog'. She had a feeling of frustration because her mind in all it's innocence just can't comprehend how this can happen. How a world can let this happen. It makes me weep because in my own adult mind with all it's supposed understanding of the world & how it works, I cannot explain it either. I have no answers for her. It is just the way it is. There is always one quote that comes to my mind when I think of Che'-

'Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter' - Martin Luther King

May we never become silent.
Learning about these children is the best thing you can do for them Che'. By knowing that their stories didn't go untold, that people listened, they heard, they felt. By doing that, because it is all you can do, you are honouring their lives, and maybe one day we will be able to make a difference. I am so sorry that the world is not a better place my darling. x
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment