Tuesday, April 17, 2012

SKATEWAY.....

Skating.....wow....not something I had imagined myself ever doing again!!. I think it has something to do with aging...like you know how hard it is to jump on a trampoline as an adult?.  It's like your brain doesn't go with the speed your head is bouncing at, and it feels really weird, or like spinning around really quickly, and how dizzy you get now?, and like putting on a pair of roller skates, and all of a sudden you have no sense of balance and you feel really high above the ground?.  Now, I must admit, I was a bit of an alright skater back in my days at Skateway (Mt Gravatt), no fear.... speedskating....and backwards speed skating!.  But when I put these rollers on a few days ago, I thought I would be in for a broken bone or major injury, or something extremely embarrassing.  For the first ten minutes,  having those wheels strapped to my feet, was feeling like a recipe for disaster.  BUT.....very soon, it all came flooding back!.  I could hold my balance, I remembered how to turn and how to stop, how to go around corners, and how to go backwards!.  Before I knew it I was entering into the speed skate competition......Nah, just kidding!!, but I did get a bit of speed up, and remembered how free I felt as a kid with those skates on my feet, and how exciting it was going into the rink to join all those people enjoying themselves by simply rolling round and round in a ring!.  And it was great to see so many adults and kids thoroughly enjoying themselves.  So if you ever get a chance to go roller skating with your kids....DO IT.....I remember my dad skating with me when I was little and encouraging me, and how we laughed when he fell or got wobbly, and I will treasure it forever!. 
 

He was so worried at first, but he persisted, and loved it !

Thanks for your help Juan x
 
 
 


And now,  so will our kids!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment